Civil Division

Terry L Rowan, Sheriff

4700 NW Pioneer Place
Pendleton, Oregon 97801
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
(Closed Holidays)


Mission of this division is to provide the best service possible by consistently meeting the highest professional standards. We provide reliable, competent and attentive service that is responsive to the citizens we serve. We look forward to serving you.

What is Civil?

The Sheriff's Office Civil Division is responsible for Document Service & enforcing court orders issued by the courts, including but not limited to: writs of execution (real and personal property sales), evictions, restraining orders, small claims, divorce and custody papers, subpoenas, writs of garnishments, and various other court orders and documents. Civil Division personnel who are trained in civil process ensure that court orders are processed in accordance with Oregon law and the Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure. After the papers have been processed, a civil deputy delivers the documents to the person named on the paper, or if the law allows, to a responsible party. The Civil Division also processes and serves criminal subpoenas for the District Attorney and the Juvenile Department. The Civil Division works closely with several law enforcement, county and state agencies. There are five full time employees in the Civil Division including a supervisor, two civil clerks and two civil deputy process servers. The Civil Division also staffs part time personnel to assist with process service and office duties as needed. Approximately 11,000 documents are received each year. Often, extensive searches are necessary in order to locate individuals. Other duties involve seizure and sale of real and personal property as ordered by the Court.

In addition to service of process, the Civil Division also processes and issues Oregon Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL’s) for Umatilla County. At this time, more than 5,400 Oregon Concealed Handgun Licenses have been issued by the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office.


The following information is a general guideline regarding the procedures and requirements for becoming an Oregon concealed handgun license holder issued out of Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office. Oregon laws governing the issuance and denial of concealed handgun licenses can be found beginning in Chapter 166.291 of the Oregon Revised Statutes.


Before an application for a concealed handgun license can be accepted, you must show completion of a training course in which handgun safety was a component of the course.  You may meet this requirement by providing any one of the following;

  • A certificate of completion of any handgun safety course utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency.
  • Documentation of completion of handgun safety training offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officer or any other law enforcement officers.
  • Documentation of completion of a hunter education course involving handgun safety approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or similar agency of another state.
  • Documented evidence of experience with handguns through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.


A Concealed Handgun License Handgun Safety Class is available online through Oregon State Sheriff’s Association by clicking on the following link: . This class has been created and reviewed by members of the Oregon Law Enforcement and Concealed Handgun License community. The class meets the statutory requirement for the Concealed Handgun License defined in ORS 166.291 (C). The class is available to all persons as an education tool free of charge. For those interested in providing proof of handgun safety training to apply for the Oregon Concealed Handgun License, the course provides a printable certificate for a $55.00 fee.


To qualify for a concealed handgun license you must:

  • Be at least 21 year of age
  • Be a resident of Umatilla County (This may be waived for residents bordering states with a compelling business interest or legitimate demonstrated need)
  • Be a US Citizen or have proof of application with intent to become a citizen
  • Never have been convicted of a felony
  • Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor within the last four years
  • Not be a registered sex offender
  • Not be free on any form of pre-trial release
  • Have no outstanding warrant for arrest
  • Not be subject to a stalking order or restraining order as defined in ORS
  • Not have been convicted of a drug offense (although exceptions apply)
  • Provide acceptable documentation of handgun safety training
  • Pass a background investigation including mental health inquiry
  • Pay appropriate fees and provide acceptable I.D. and other documentation

Additionally Oregon State Law states a sheriff may deny a concealed handgun license if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant’s mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant’s past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence. Also any act or condition that would prevent the issuance of a concealed handgun license is cause for revoking a concealed handgun license.


To schedule an appointment using our online calendar click below:


New: Applications are taken by appointment only and you must report in person. Fee is $65. At the time of appointment, the applicant will be photographed, fingerprinted, submit the completed application form and an electronic signature will be captured. Applicant will need to bring two forms of I.D. and proof of citizenship. Click here to download a Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions.

Renewal: Applications are taken by appointment only and you must report in person (there are exceptions for active duty military, call our office for details). Fee is $50. At the time of appointment, the applicant will be photographed, submit the completed application form and an electronic signature will be captured. Applicant will need to bring two forms of I.D. and proof of citizenship. The Renewal procedure for an expired CHL is the same; you do not have to retake handgun safety training. Click here to download a Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions.

Out of State Applicants: ** Attention NEW and RENEWAL applicants ** If you are applying as an out of state applicant, a Residency Waiver Request Form MUST be filled out and attached to your application EVERY time you apply. A Previously issued CHL’s does not guarantee a renewal. Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office requirements have changed. This form will be used to see if you will be considered for a waiver. Click here to download a Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions.

Transfer: If you are a current CHL card-holder in another county and have recently moved to Umatilla County, an appointment is required to transfer your CHL to Umatilla County. Please change your DMV information first. The fee for transfer is $15, with an additional charge of $15 for fingerprinting. At the time you come in, the applicant will be photographed, fingerprinted, submit the completed application form and an electronic signature will be captured. You will need to bring your CHL card from the other County Sheriff’s Office. Click here to download a Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions. NOTE: If you are transferring from Umatilla County to another County, please contact that specific agency and inquire about their procedures.

Renewal and Transfer: Applications are taken by appointment only. See the procedures for both Transfer and Renewal above. Total fee is $65.

Address Change: If you are a current Umatilla County CHL card-holder and have moved within Umatilla County you can notify us of an address change in person by appointment or by mail. Please change your DMV information first. The fee for address change is $15. You must fill out an Address Change Form.

If reporting in person by appointment, bring your completed Address Change Form, photo ID and your current CHL. A new CHL card will be given to you at the time you come in.

If you chose to mail the application, send us the completed application, fee, photo copy of your CHL and Driver’s License. A new CHL card will be mailed to you.

Name Change: If you are a current Umatilla County CHL card-holder and have changed your name, the fee for name change is $30. An appointment is required for name change. Please change your DMV information first. Report in person and bring your completed Name Change Application, photo ID, any supporting documentation of name change, and your current CHL. You will be fingerprinted and photographed at the appointment.

Duplicate: The fee to replace a lost or stolen Umatilla County CHL card is $15. You can schedule an appointment with our office, report in person without an appointment, or you mail the Duplicate Form to our office.

To schedule an appointment using our online calendar click here:

Book Now



Federal Law 18 U.S.C δ 922(g) in brief, prohibits possession of any firearm or ammunition by anyone who:

  • Has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
  • Who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
  • Who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner or child of an intimate partner
  • Who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence


Oregon law provides a few limits on where a person with a Concealed Handgun License can carry a firearm, and federal law contains a few more prohibitions. Be aware that even if you have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License, you cannot carry a firearm on any of the following properties in Oregon:

  • Federal Facilities: The term “Federal Facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. Examples include: federal courthouses, social security offices, federal post offices, and recruiting offices. 18 US 930
  • Airports: Past security checkpoint in airports. For questions regarding firearms in luggage, contact the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) or the airline you are traveling with.
  • Tribal Reservations or Tribal Property: The Tribal Council overseas the regulations on reservations, therefore firearm restrictions may vary greatly from reservation to reservation. Often you may not carry a firearm concealed without written permission by the Tribal Council. This also applies to casinos operated by tribes. For Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, contact the Tribal Police for more information at 541-278-0550.
  • Court Facilities: You may not carry in a court facility, which is defined as any building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court. This applies to the entire facility, not just areas adjacent to the courtrooms, including any area that may temporarily be set up as a court.

    You may be barred from entering a “local court facility” if the judge entered an order prohibiting firearms. A local court facility means the portion of a building in which a justice court, a municipal court, a probate court or a juvenile court conducts business. Intentional violation of this law is a Class C Felony. ORS 166.360 and ORS 166.370(s)(a) (the link applies to both ORS provided)

  • National Forests or Wilderness Areas with specific order in effect: Persons with a valid Oregon concealed handgun license may carry their weapon onto National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management land UNLESS there is a specific order issued by the local administrator or forest ranger to the contrary. It is the CHL holder’s responsibility to check on restrictions where you plan to visit. Restrictions are generally put into effect during festivals or large gatherings, or at popular recreation areas where there are safety concerns. Be aware that any Ranger Station or Visitors Center in any National Forest is could be considered a Federal Building, making it illegal to carry there.
  • Private property, business or facility where the owner prohibits firearm possession: Just as person can prohibit you from possession of a firearm in their home, they can also prohibit firearms from their privately owned business. Some examples include: bars, nightclubs, stores, restaurants and movie theatres. If you are told to leave, you must do so, even if you have a CHL. If you remove your firearm and they still want you to leave, you must do so. If you don’t leave, you may be subject to arrest for Trespass.


  • Q. How do I apply for an Oregon Concealed Handgun license?
  • A.
    • 1) Make sure that you meet the handgun competency requirements (see Handgun Safety Training section above). If you do not have documentation of training that meets the listed requirements, then you must complete training prior to applying.
    • 2) Review the Procedures Section above (including the Application and Instructions) for details regarding other required documentation, I.D. and fees.
    • 3) Once you have all your paperwork and identification together, schedule an appointment with our office. You can schedule an appointment using our online calendar button listed at the top of this webpage, or call our office number on the application.  
    • 4) If you are unable to download an application from online, please call our office and we would be happy to mail you one.
  • Q. How much does a concealed handgun license cost?
  • A.$65 is the fee to apply for a new CHL. See the Procedures Section above for detailed fees and procedures.
  • Q. Where can I take a class to meet the requirements for a concealed handgun license?
  • A. Review the Handgun Safety Training section above to see the type of training that meets State Law requirements, and then look for an instructor that matches the requirements. Instructors often advertise in newspapers, with local gun dealers, and with gun clubs etc. Some community colleges also offer classes.
  • Q. Does Umatilla County Sheriff’s office accept Out of State applicants?
  • A. Yes, Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office does accept applications from out of state residents that live in states that border Oregon. Oregon Law states that sheriff may waive the residency requirements for a resident of a contiguous state that has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. As an out of state applicant you must attach a Residency Waiver Request Form to your CHL application. Please read this form carefully before deciding whether you want to apply as an out of state resident. See Procedures section above for New, Renewing and Out of State Applicants.
  • Q. Where is your office located?
  • A.We are located at the main sheriff's office in Pendleton.The address is 4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton, Oregon.
  • Q. What are the hours of operation for the Concealed Handgun License Unit?
  • A.We schedule appointments for Concealed Handgun License applications on Monday through Friday from 9am to 4:30pm.
  • Q. How long does it take to get my new CHL?
  • A.Upon approval, your CHL will be mailed to you within approximately 45 days.
  • Q. How long is my license valid?
  • A.Your concealed handgun license is valid for four years from date of issue. However, an arrest or involvement in criminal activity may be a cause for revocation.
  • Q. Is my Umatilla County issued Concealed Handgun License good for the entire state of Oregon or just Umatilla County?
  • A.The CHL is good for the entire State of Oregon.
  • Q. If I change my address do I need to contact anyone?
  • A.Yes. You are required to complete a change of address form. See Address Change under the Procedures section on this website for more details.
  • Q. Where can I read the Oregon concealed handgun law?
  • A. Oregon Revised Statutes regarding Concealed Handgun License start at ORS 166.291 and are available online at
  • Q. Where can I not carry a firearm even with a concealed handgun license?
  • A. See the section above labeled Places Concealed Handgun license Holders May Not Carry a Firearm.
  • Q. How do I transfer my concealed handgun license from another county?
  • A. See the section above labeled Procedures for details and fees to Transfer.
  • Q. When should I arrive for my license appointment?
  • A.Please arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to your appointment time.
  • Q. My license has expired; do I need to retake handgun safety training?
  • A. No. The renewal process is the same whether or not your license has expired. If your license has been expired for a long time and you no longer have the expired card, call our office. We can search records and if we still have documentation that you previously had a CHL you can apply as a renewal.
  • Q. Can my handgun safety training expire?
  • A.No, if you provide adequate documentation of training, the time frame does not matter.
  • Q. My license is going to expire with the next few months, does your office send out renewal notices? 
  • A.Yes, as a courtesy our offices mails out renewal notices and blank application forms. However, it is the responsibility of the individual license holder to be aware of the expiration date of their license and schedule an appointment for renewal.
  • Q. How soon before my expiration date can I renew my license?
  • A. There are no restrictions on how early you can schedule an appointment for renewal. However, a concealed handgun license is valid for four years from the date the license is issued, so the next four years will start from the date we issue the renewal. We generally mail out renewal notices between 30 and 60 days prior to the expiration date.
  • Q. Do I have to renew in person?
  • A. Yes, renewals are done by appointment only and in person. See the Procedure Section above for more details. (There are exceptions for active duty military, call our office with questions).
  • Q. What will disqualify me from obtaining a concealed handgun license?
  • A. See the Eligibility Requirements Section above.
  • Q. How will I find out if my application was denied or my concealed handgun license was revoked?
  • A.Notices of denial or revocation are sent by certified mail or are personally delivered.

Service of Civil Process

This office serves process and enforces orders at locations that are within the County of Umatilla only, which also includes inside the city limits of Adams, Athena, Echo, Helix, Hermiston, Milton-Freewater, Pendleton, Pilot Rock, Stanfield, Ukiah, Umatilla, and Weston.

  • Documents can be delivered to our office in person or by mail.

4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton
915 SE Columbia Dr., Hermiston

Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Civil Division
4700 NW Pioneer Place
Pendleton, OR 97801

    • Include the following with your documents:
  • Instructions to Sheriff Form (or equivalent information) Self-Addressed stamped envelope (for returning a copy of the Proof of Service) Appropriate fee in form of money order, check or cashier’s check.

Service Fees

There is usually a fee charged to process and serve civil papers. The fees are set by both Oregon State Law and County ordinance (see Oregon Revised Statues 21.300). If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office. MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO U.C.S.O. (Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office).

Current Fee Schedule

Frequently Asked Question

How long before my papers are served?
It depends on the type of papers , the current volume of active papers the Civil Deputies are working on, and the accuracy of information provided. We will make attempt(s) until the papers are served, or until we can show the person is not serviceable, or the date on the paper(s) expires.

Will I be refunded any money if my papers are not served?
No. Fees are paid to the Sheriff’s Office for processing paperwork and attempting service. In almost all instances several attempts are made if the person to be served is not contacted on the first attempt.

How will I be notified when my papers are served?
For most type of paperwork, we will mail out a copy of the return of service to you. You can call our office to find out status, however because papers may still be active in the field with a Deputy, we might not be able to provide the most current status over the phone.

Where do I obtain a Restraining Order?
Restraining Orders are obtained through Circuit Courts. The phone number for Umatilla County Circuit Court is (541) 278-0341.

How do I qualify for a Restraining Order and what are the criteria?
This information can be obtained by calling the court.

When will my Restraining Order be served?
Restraining Orders are the first priority in service documents at the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office. However it may take anywhere from one day to several weeks to serve a respondent depending on how good the information is, the availability of a deputy and whether or not the respondent is avoiding service.

Will I be notified if my Restraining Order is served?
If your contact number or a message phone is provided, our deputy will call to notify you once the restraining order has been served. A message will be left if no one answers and voice mail is available. We are unable to continue calling if unable to reach you with the first attempt. You can also call our office to check status.

I don’t qualify for a restraining order, can I get a stalking order?
If you do not meet the criteria for a restraining order, you may be able to obtain a stalking protective order. “Stalking” is defined in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 163.730 to 163.732. Keywords in the definition are “repeated” and “unwanted contact”. “Repeated” means two or more times. If you believe you are a victim of a stalking, contact the law enforcement agency where the stalking is taking place.

Where can I get legal assistance?
• Lawyer Referral Service, Phone Number: 1-800-452-7636
• Tel-Law Program, Phone Number: 1-800-452-4776 or
• Public Library
• The yellow pages under “attorney”
• Book stores, specifically in the Law/Social Science Section
• Law Libraries located at any Courthouse or University
• Oregon Revised Statues
• Legal Aid Services of Oregon, 365 SE 3rd St, Pendleton, Oregon 97801. (541) 276-6685

Trespass Protection Agreements

Dear Community Partner,
The Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office has received complaints from business property owners about persons trespassing on their property and causing damage, committing theft, or engaging in other criminal activities. Your Sheriff’s Office wants to make every effort to stop this kind of activity. With that goal in mind, the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office in cooperation with the Umatilla County Department of Land Use Planning is offering the, “Trespass Enforcement Agreement Program”. Here’s how it works:

  1. If your business property is located in the unincorporated areas of Umatilla County, and you would like to participate, please contact the Sheriff’s Office, 541-966-3600, or the Planning Department, 541-278-6252 for information about the program. The information will also be available on the Sheriff’s Office and Planning Department’s websites. (If you live inside a city limits, please check with your city police department to find out if they have a similar program).
  2. After you request to participate, you must complete a Trespass Enforcement Authorization Form, which requires an official notarization.
  3. When you return the completed form to the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office, 4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton, OR 97801, we will provide a “NO TRESPASSING” placard to you with instructions regarding where it should be posted on your property. The first placard is free. You can purchase (at cost) additional placards in various sizes if you want to post at multiple locations on your property. Contact Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office for details.

By completing the Trespass Enforcement Authorization Form, you will empower UCSO personnel to act on your behalf, as your “person in charge” for incidents involving criminal trespass at your property, especially after business hours. Whenever a deputy sees someone on your property after hours, your authorization will enable them to investigate and make arrests on your behalf to help ensure that your property is safe and secure. Also, the “NO TRESPASSING” placards that you post on the property will serve as a visible deterrent to persons who might be inclined to trespass on your property.

As part of the program, you are also agreeing to return the placard if; you do not fulfill your end of the trespass agreement, which includes following through with prosecution in the event we make an arrest on your behalf, if you withdraw your “persons in charge” authority, or if you are no longer the owner of the property.
We hope this project will improve the security of your property, and ultimately, the quality of life in your neighborhood.