**Attention Fee Increase **

CHL Fees have increased.  The increase became effective on September 26th, 2021 per Senate Bill 554. 


Concealed Handgun Licensing (CHL) is one of the sheriff's mandates. Oregon Law pertaining to CHLs can be found beginning at Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 166.291. Applicants should make sure they meet the eligibility requirements and have had handgun safety training before filling out an application. If you have further questions, check out our FAQ section. 

Applications are taken by appointment only and you must report in person.  Fee is $115.00. At the time of the appointment, the applicant will be photographed and fingerprinted. Applicants must also show proof of handgun safety training, proof of residency in Umatilla County and submit the completed application form with supporting documents. Click here to download a NEW Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions

To schedule an appointment use our online calendar: Book Now

NEW - Out of State Applicants
At this time, we are not accepting New Applicants from Out of State. We are hopeful to resume that service at some point, please continue to check back on this website every 30 days for any update service.  

RENEWAL (current and expired) 
Renewal applications are accepted by mail. You must have a current or expired CHL issued by Umatilla County Sheriff's Office. If issued in another Oregon County, see TRANSFER and RENEWAL below. Click here to download Instructions and Application for the RENEWAL of Oregon Concealed Handgun License with Umatilla County Sheriff's Office for county residents.  

RENEWAL - Out of State Applicants
Renewal applications for out of state applicants are accepted by mail IF you have a current or expired CHL issued by Umatilla County.  
Click here to download Instructions and Application for the Renewal of Oregon Concealed Handgun License with Umatilla County Sheriff's Office for out of state applicants.

If you have recently moved to Umatilla County and are a current CHL card-holder in another Oregon county, an appointment is required to transfer your CHL to Umatilla County. Please change your DMV information first. The total fee is $30.00 ($15 transfer fee plus $15 fingerprinting fee).  At the time of the appointment, you will be photographed and fingerprinted. Your CHL will retain the same expiration date. You will need to submit a completed Transfer Form and bring required documentation (including your current CHL). Book Now

If you have recently moved to Umatilla County, have an almost expired (or expired) CHL issued in another Oregon county and need to transfer to Umatilla County Sheriff's Office;  you can both renew and transfer at the same time using the Renewal application.  However, because you are transferring, you MUST schedule an appointment to apply in person so you can be photographed and fingerprinted. The total fee is $90.00 ($75 renewal fee plus $15.00 fingerprinting fee).  Your new CHL will have a new expiration date.  See procedures for both Renewal and Transfer.   Book Now

If you are a current Umatilla County Sheriff's Office CHL card-holder and have moved within Umatilla County, you can notify us of an address change by mail.  Please change your DMV information first.  The fee for address change is $15. Click here to download an Address Change Form

If you have a valid CHL issued out of Umatilla County and you...
- Moved to another county in Oregon, contact the Sheriff's Office in that County to inquire about their procedures for an address change (TRANSFER). Do not use our form. 

If you have a valid CHL issued out of Umatilla County and you...
-Moved to another State that does not border Oregon, Oregon law does not allow for issuance of a CHL and your concealed handgun license may no longer be valid. 

The fee to have your name changed on your CHL is $15. Please change your DMV information first. You can mail in the Name Change Form with supporting documentation to our office. 

The fee to replace a lost or stolen CHL card is $15. You can mail in the Duplicate Form to our office. This does not apply to expired or revoked CHLs.

If you are applying as an out of state applicant, a Residency Waiver Request Form MUST be filled out AND attached to your application EVERY time you apply, renew or transfer. A Previously issued CHL’s does not guarantee a renewal. Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office requirements have changed. This form will be used to see if you will be considered for a waiver. We are not currently accepting New Applicants from Out of State. 



To top


Before an application for a concealed handgun license can be accepted, you must show completion of a training course in which handgun safety was a component of the course.  You may meet this requirement by providing any one of the following;

  • A certificate of completion of any handgun safety course utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency.
  • Documentation of completion of handgun safety training offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officer or any other law enforcement officers.
  • Documentation of completion of a hunter education course involving handgun safety approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or similar agency of another state.
  • Documented evidence of experience with handguns through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.

    A Concealed Handgun License Handgun Safety Class is available online through Oregon State Sheriff’s Association by clicking on the following link: http://oregonchl.org/ . This class has been created and reviewed by members of the Oregon Law Enforcement and Concealed Handgun License community. The class meets the statutory requirement for the Concealed Handgun License defined in ORS 166.291 (C). The class is available to all persons as an education tool free of charge. For those interested in providing proof of handgun safety training to apply for the Oregon Concealed Handgun License, the course provides a printable certificate for a $55.00 fee.

    To top


    To qualify for a Oregon Concealed Handgun License you must:

    • Be at least 21 year of age
    • Be a resident of Umatilla County (This may be waived for residents bordering states with a compelling business interest or legitimate demonstrated need)
    • Be a US Citizen or have proof of application with intent to become a citizen
    • Never have been convicted of a felony
    • Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor within the last four years
    • Not be a registered sex offender
    • Not be free on any form of pre-trial release
    • Have no outstanding warrant for arrest
    • Not be subject to a stalking order or restraining order as defined in ORS
    • Not have been convicted of a drug offense (although exceptions apply)
    • Provide acceptable documentation of handgun safety training
    • Pass a background investigation including mental health inquiry
    • Pay appropriate fees and provide acceptable I.D. and other documentation

    Additionally Oregon State Law states a sheriff may deny a concealed handgun license if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant’s mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant’s past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence. Also any act or condition that would prevent the issuance of a concealed handgun license is cause for revoking a concealed handgun license.

    To top


    Federal Law 18 U.S.C δ 922(g) in brief, prohibits possession of any firearm or ammunition by anyone who:

    • Has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
    • Who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
    • Who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner or child of an intimate partner
    • Who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence


    Oregon law provides a few limits on where a person with an Oregon Concealed Handgun License (CHL) can carry a firearm, and federal law contains a few more prohibitions. Be aware that even if you have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License, you cannot carry a firearm on any of the following properties in Oregon:

    • Federal Facilities: The term “Federal Facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. Examples include: federal courthouses, social security offices, federal post offices, and recruiting offices, in secured areas of airports and on airplanes. 18 U.S. Code § 930
    • Airports: Past security checkpoint in airports. For questions regarding firearms in luggage, contact the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) or the airline you are traveling with.
    • State Capitol Building
    • Public Schools - signs posted prohibiting all firearms
    • National Forest marked or posted by signs prohibiting all firearms
    • Tribal Reservations or Tribal Property: The Tribal Council overseas the regulations on reservations, therefore firearm restrictions may vary greatly from reservation to reservation. Often you may not carry a firearm concealed without written permission by the Tribal Council. This also applies to casinos operated by tribes. For Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, contact the Tribal Police for more information at 541-278-0550.
    • Court Facilities: You may not carry in a court facility, which is defined as any building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court. This applies to the entire facility, not just areas adjacent to the courtrooms, including any area that may temporarily be set up as a court.

      You may be barred from entering a “local court facility” if the judge entered an order prohibiting firearms. A local court facility means the portion of a building in which a justice court, a municipal court, a probate court or a juvenile court conducts business. Intentional violation of this law is a Class C Felony. ORS 166.360 and ORS 166.370(s)(a) (the link applies to both ORS provided)

    • Designated Wilderness Areas with specific declaration or order has enacted a restriction or prohibtion of firearms.  Persons with a valid Oregon concealed handgun license may carry their weapon onto National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management land UNLESS there is is marked or posted by signs prohibited all firearmsin accordance with a specific order.  It is the CHL holder’s responsibility to check on restrictions where you plan to visit. Restrictions are generally put into effect during festivals or large gatherings, or at popular recreation areas where there are safety concerns. Be aware that any Ranger Station or Visitors Center in any National Forest could be considered a Federal Building, making it illegal to carry there.

    • Private property, business or facility where the owner prohibits firearm possession: Just as person can prohibit you from possession of a firearm in their home, they can also prohibit firearms from their privately owned business. Some examples include: bars, nightclubs, stores, restaurants and movie theatres. If you are told to leave, you must do so, even if you have a CHL. If you remove your firearm and they still want you to leave, you must do so. If you don’t leave, you may be subject to arrest for Trespass.
    • Umatilla County Jail:  No person may bring a firearm, weapon or other contraband into the secure perimeter of the jail.  Knowingly introducing contraband into a correctional facility is a Class C Felony. 

    To top

    Frequently Asked Questions

    • Make sure that you meet the handgun competency requirements (see Handgun Safety Training section above). If you do not have documentation of training that meets the listed requirements, then you must complete training prior to applying.
    • Review the Applications Section above and select the correct Application and Instructions for details regarding other required documentation, I.D. and fees.
    • Once you have all your paperwork and identification together, schedule an appointment with our office. You can schedule an appointment using our online calendar button listed at the top of this webpage, or call our office number on the application.
    • If you are unable to print an application from online, please call our office at 541-966-3680, leave a message, and we would be happy to mail you one.

    $65 is the fee to apply for a new CHL. See the Applications Section above for detailed of other fees (such as renewal) and procedures. Beginning September 26th, 2021 the fee for a new CHL will increase to $115.00. 

    Review the Handgun Safety Training section above to see the type of training that meets State Law requirements, and then look for an instructor that matches the requirements. There is also a link for an online class provided.  If you are wanting to attend in person training, instructors often advertise in newspapers, with local gun dealers, and with gun clubs etc. Some community colleges also offer classes.

    NO, Due to COVID19, Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office does not currently accept NEW applications from out of state residents. We are still accepting renewals of out of state applicants. Normally we do accept Out of State applications from applicants that live in states that border Oregon. We are hopeful we will offer that service again and encourage you to check back on our website every 30 days for updates.  Oregon Law states that the sheriff may waive the residency requirements for a resident of a contiguous state that has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. As an out of state applicant you must attach a Residency Waiver Request Form to your CHL application. Please read this form carefully before deciding whether you want to apply as an out of state resident. See Applications section above for New, Renewing and Out of State Applicants.

    We are located at the main sheriff's office in Pendleton.The address is 4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton, Oregon 97801.

    We schedule appointments for Concealed Handgun License applications on Monday through Friday from 9am to 4:30pm. Although we do not currently schedule any appointments on Wednesday. 

    Upon approval, your CHL will be mailed to you within approximately 45 days. 

    Your concealed handgun license is valid for four years from date of issue (the date we approve and print it out). However, an arrest or involvement in criminal activity may be a cause for revocation.

    Although issued by Umatilla County Sheriff's office, it is an Oregon Concealed Handgun License and is good for the entire State of Oregon. 

    Yes. You are required to complete a change of address form if you moved within our county. If you moved to another County in Oregon, contact that county to complete an address change. See Address Change under the Applications section on this website for more details.

    Oregon Revised Statutes regarding Concealed Handgun License start at ORS 166.291 and are available online.  

    Review the Transfer instructions in the Application section above. 

    Please arrive NO more than 10 minutes prior to your appointment time. 

    No. The renewal process is the same whether or not your license has expired. If your license has been expired for a long time and you no longer have the expired card, call our office. We may be able to search records and if we still have documentation that you previously had a CHL you can apply as a renewal.

    No, if you provide adequate documentation of training, the time frame does not matter.


    No, it is the responsibility of the individual license holder to be aware of the expiration date of their license. But don't worry if you missed it, the renewal process for an expired license is the same as a current license.


    There are no restrictions on how early you can renew your license. However, a concealed handgun license is valid for four years from the date the license is issued, so the next four years will start from the date we issue the renewal. 

    There are no restrictions on how early you can renew your license. However, a concealed handgun license is valid for four years from the date the license is issued, so the next four years will start from the date we issue the renewal. 

    No, right now if your previous CHL was issued by us, you can renew by mail. See the Applications Section above for more details. (Call our office with questions).

    See the Eligibility Requirements section above. 

    Notices of denial or revocation are sent by certified mail or are personally delivered

    To top